I want to get information that how I can get married to a Vietnam’s girl who is my girlfriend for a long time. Now we are planning to get marriage. What are the requirements for both of us to get marriage because I’m from Japan and I’ll travel from Japan to Vietnam only for marriage.
I am Lawyer of SB Law. I was entrusted to provide you legal advice regarding marriage condition . Please find our answers hereunder:
Article 126 of Law on Marriage and Family 2014 provides as follows:
For marriages between Vietnamese citizens and foreigners, each party shall comply with his/her country’s law on marriage conditions; if their marriage is conducted at a competent Vietnamese state agency, the foreigner shall also comply with this Law’s provisions on marriage conditions.
Accordingly, the marriage conditions as provided for by the law of Vietnam include:
1. A man and a woman wishing to marry each other must satisfy the following conditions:
a /The man is full 20 years or older, the woman is full 18 years or older;
b/ The marriage is voluntarily decided by the man and woman;
c/ The man and woman do not lose the civil act capacity;
d/ The marriage does not fall into one of the cases:
– A sham marriage or sham divorce;
– Underage marriage, forcing a person into marriage, deceiving a person into marriage, obstructing marriage;
– A married person getting married to or cohabitating as husband and wife with another person, or an unmarried person getting married to or cohabitating as husband and wife with a married person;
– Getting married or cohabitating as husband and wife between people of the same direct bloodline; relatives within three generations; adoptive parent and adopted a child; or former adoptive parent and adopted child, father-in-law and daughter-in-law, mother-in-law and son-in-law, or stepparent and stepchild;
2. The State shall not recognize marriage between persons of the same sex.
If your girlfriend and you meet the conditions for getting married, you can apply for marriage registration at the Judicial Office of the district People’s Committee.
Foreigners who need to prepare for marriage include:
– Passport / Temporary Resident Card (copy certified and certified by Department of Justice);
– Equivalent papers certifying the marital status of the foreigner issued by a competent foreign authority;
– Health Certification;
– Marriage registration declaration.
Note: For foreigners’ dossiers, when bringing to Vietnam for carrying out procedures, attention should be paid to the following points:
– Documents must be issued by a competent authority of the foreign country, with full seals and signatures;
– The documents to be translated into Vietnamese must be translated into Vietnamese, signed and stamped by the Judicial Office of the Department of Justice;
– Documents needing to be consular legalized: it must be certified by the embassy of that country in Vietnam that this is the document issued by the competent agency of the country;
After obtaining the embassy’s certification, the documents need to be translated and sent to the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam for recognition of documents executed in Vietnam.
Get in touch with us