Resident card or Work Permit for Legal Representative of Vietnam company


Question: We are Foreign invested Company and need a calcification about legal Representative.

We need to Appoint a Foreigner as legal representative and would like to whether she or he need have resident card or Work Permit  .

Answer: Under Vietnam Law on enterprise, each enterprise can have one more legal representative. However, one of them must reside in Vietnam.
In case you have one legal representative and he/she is a foreigner, such legal representative shall have to obtain Work Permit or Documents certifying that he/she is exempted from work permit.
After obtaining work permit/document certifying that he/she is exempted from work permit, he/she can obtain a residence permit.
Residence Permit is one of document to prove that he/she satisfies condition of residing in Vietnam.
In case he/she has not yet obtained residence permit, you must provide information of his/her resident address in Vietnam when you register him/her as legal representative of your company.